[mythtv-users] UK DVB-S Channel Setup

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 11:00:42 UTC 2005

On 01/09/05, A Thomson <alunt2003 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> David Watkins wrote:
>
> >>I have my DVB-S card running fine with Gentoo on the Astra 28 Degrees
> >>(UK Sky Sat) and have scanned in the channels fine. I only want the free
> >>channels.
> >>I can watch for example CNN which shows as channel 7140.
> >>I have ran mythfilldatabase but the EPG does not line up.
> >>

> >If you're getting your EPG via the dvb stream then I don't think you
> >need to run mythfilldatabase.  The guide information should just
> >arrive - eventually.
> >
> >If you're using xmltv to get the information then you need to match
> >the xmltvid in your channel settings with that used by the xmltv
> >guide.
> >
> >Having said that I find channel set-up very frustrating on my dvb-t
> >card.  I tried to swap the channel numbers around, to get a sensible
> >order on the programme guide, and ended up breaking it and having to
> >rescan.
> >
> >Good Luck
> >

> I have had mythtv running for a while and the channels never populated
> themselves. It just said there is no channel listings until whenever so
> i repopulated them with mythfilldatabase.
>
> When i go into the program guide on mythtv some channels look like they
> are setup fine. For example Channel 4 is shown as "4 1081" and has a
> channel listing. However if i select that channel it wont change channel
> but i get "Paremeter Out Of Range" if i Alt-Tab and have a look.
>
> I can only change channels to the ones that were scanned in by myth and
> have no listings against them.
>
> How do i match up the xmltvid with my channels? Is there a nice howto
> somewhere i have missed?

I used this - which gave me the clues I needed.

http://www.users.on.net/~jani/dvico-mythtv-11.html

you've probably already got a channels.conf file in ~mythtv/.xmltv -
if not you need to run mythtvsetup again (the bit where you select the
alternate uk grabber). When mythtvsetup appears to hang, tab back to
the terminal window that you started mythtvsetup from and complete the
xmltv config.  Then go back to the myth window.

Then look in channels.conf and there's a list of xmltvids, one for
each channel you selected in the xmltv config.  Fo to the channel
editor in mythtvsetup and enter the correct xmltvid for the channels
that are there, and uncheck the use on-air guide.  You can also use
mythweb or phymyadmin for this, which is a lot easier.

Hope this helps.