[mythtv-users] Monitor CD/DVD with Fedora?

Brian Bosch bdbosch at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 14:24:15 EDT 2005

On 10/28/05, Matt Goebel <matt at goebelnet.com> wrote:

> Has anyone managed to get fedora to play nice with Myth's monitor CD/DVD
> functionality? I've got myth setup up to do that, specifically for DVD's
> to bring
> up the menu. No matter what I try it doesn't seem to work though. I've
> edited
> /etc/fstab so that my dvd-rom shows up as:
>
> /dev/hdc /media/cdrom ufs,iso9660 exec,ro,noauto,user 0 0
>
> That seems to work so that HAL (fstab-sync) doesn't re-write /etc/fstab.
> Myth just
> ignores it though. If I use anything besides /dev/hdc (say /dev/dvd, a
> symlink to
> /dev/hdc) fstab-sync removes all dvd-rom related entries and adds it's own
> again.
> Is there some specific device or mount point I need to have in fstab for
> Myth? How
> do I work around HAL to do that?

I've been messing around with this myself recently. Make sure that you
select/enable "Monitor CD/DVD" in the the frontend; Setup -> General, it's a
few screens in.

I was having the same issues with /etc/fstab being re-written by fstab-sync
so I am using this entry:

/dev/hdb /media/cdrom iso9660 pamconsole,exec,noauto,user 0 0

That is, I changed the fstype to "iso9660" from "auto" per Jarod's advice,
and I removed "managed" from the options as this seems to cause fstab-sync
to leave the entry alone. This *mostly* works (the entry survives a reboot)
except that every now and then I have to ssh into the box and $ umount
/dev/hdb. I don't know why that is... I'll have one of two problems; either
xine will exit very quickly after trying to play a DVD with a quick flash of
an error message saying something to effect that the device can't be read.
Or, after watching the DVD, I can't eject it from the drive.

Unmounting the drive seems to always fix this, at least for a while. The
strange thing is that sometimes I get an error message back saying the drive
wasn't mounted to begin with, but it works fine after the failed umount
anyway. Everything is sunshine and happiness for a while but eventually the
problem comes back; I haven't figured out why.

Anyway, this is just a heads-up in case you decide to use this entry in your
system and you start to see similar things. I haven't spent much time trying
to figure this out as I can work around it and other things have taken
priority recently. My system is a dedicated FE/BE, FC3 setup using Jarod's
guide, myth 18.1 from atrpms.

HTH

-- Brian.