[mythtv-users] What does make install actually do

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Thu Oct 27 12:20:44 EDT 2005

On 27-Oct-05, at 12:07 PM, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> Managing simultaneous RPM-based and locally compiled installations of
> any software package is pretty tricky.  You might find it easier to
> simply manage multiple locally-compiled versions, with one of them
> being a stable release (say 0.18.1) that you've compiled from source.

If your locally compiled version is tracking svn there's also the
problem of schema changes which happen often enough in myth. Once you
get one your stable release becomes useless and you're tied to the
local build. A few months ago there was some discussion about
maintaining backward compatibility but the final word was it isn't
worth the bother.

For my setup I adapted the debian source packages to build with current
svn and create new debs whenever an interesting feature gets checked
in. You just have to watch the dev/commits list and hang back whenever
a disruptive change makes it in which isn't very often.

- George