[mythtv-users] What does make install actually do

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 27 12:07:40 EDT 2005

On Thursday 27 October 2005 8:16, David Watkins wrote:
> On 27/10/05, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've noticed that make install puts the binaries into /usr/local/,
> > > whereas the rpm binaries are currently in /usr/local/bin, so am I
> > > correct in thinking that nothing would get overwritten and I
> > > manually
> > > move files or adjust the order of the path to enable the compiled
> > > versions?
> >
> > I think there's a file called settings.pro (from memory) which lets
> > you override the target dir for install so you could use that to get
> > make install to install to the current location. I don't know what
> > the
> > consequences of having simultaneous RPM and CVS installs, but it
> > sounds like the sort of thing that could turn ugly.
>
> It does doesn't it.
>
> I don't really want to keep the rpm setup, just move between the two
> in a controlled way.  I guess what you're saying is I should uninstall
> the rpms first?

Managing simultaneous RPM-based and locally compiled installations of
any software package is pretty tricky.  You might find it easier to
simply manage multiple locally-compiled versions, with one of them
being a stable release (say 0.18.1) that you've compiled from source.

Once you decide to go with locally compiled versions, you can use
something like GNU Stow (http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/stow.html) to
manage them.  This is what I do, and it's not difficult at all.  If
stow isn't already on your system, you can probably install it via apt
or yum, or find an rpm.

-JAC