[mythtv-users] logfiles: where?

mstrimel at comcast.net mstrimel at comcast.net
Tue Oct 25 15:24:24 EDT 2005

actually, I have 2 problems.

1. I created a directory called "/var/log/mythtv", and made sure that mythtv has write permissions to it, and restarted several times, but still there are no logs there.  Sorry if this is a dumb question but: where are the mythtv logs supposed to be?

2. live tv is not working ... I get a blank screen for a few seconds and it returns to the menu.  This process seems to break the connection between the frontend and backend (i.e., If I try to do other things after attempting livetv, mythtv informs me that the backend is not running or is improperly configured ).   Everything else works great.  I've searched for other posts about this, but they seem to address much earlier versions of myth or are otherwise inapplicable (whole system crashes, for example).

my system: $ 200 wal mart box with ubuntu hoary, mythtv 0.18.1 compiled from source, PVR-250 [although live tv showed the same exact symptoms with a PVR-150 installed]

If I can solve # 1, I'll send more information and hopefully solve problem # 2!
thanks,
Mary
mstrimel(at)comcast(dot)net