[mythtv-users] Cannot scan with PVR500 in setup and ::data:: Column 3 out of range: error

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Oct 20 15:14:53 EDT 2005

I have a PVR500 on an Epia SP13000 motherboard, running Fedora Core 4,
kernel 2.6.13-1.1524.

I followed  Jarod's guide except for using RPM's for VIA Epia motherboards
http://washington.kelkoo.net/epia/  which build in the
unichrome/libXvMC/libXvMCW drivers in the xorg tree. Kernel 2.6.13-1.1524
has via drm built in too.
All that works fine. (But note, you should install ImageMagick first or
together with xorg-x11 to avoid a dependency race caused solely by rpm
headers and databases not being in sync.)

I used the quick method of Jarod's guide to install ivtv and mythtv: that
is, I used yum (which meant that I took the default configuration.) This
gave me ivtv-4 and mythtv 18.1.

I have a pcHDTV3000 card which is not presently installed. I did however,
save the ivtv tveeprom-ivtv module, and copy over the kernel tveeprom
module into the ivtv tree. I commented out the recent standard 'alias
tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv'.

The card works. I did 'cat /dev/video0 > test1.mpg' last night and got 30
seconds of David Letterman's monologue... (which was interesting as I
thought I was going to get Jay Leno!)  Both video to the monitor and audio
out to the amp worked fine.
Oh, and dmesg shows everything expected, without errors: 2 cards are
recognized.

Here's when the problems start in mythtv-setup. I'm not sure if the first
is a symptom or normal. (I have to be a little vague as I am not at that
computer).
In the card section, there is no separate choice for the PVR150/500, only
for V4L capture cards. I *presume* that this is an artifact of the changes
made in moving to the ivtv-.4 version level, where the 150/500 series got
folded into the 'standard' stream. If I'm supposed to see a separate
choice, this must be a mythtv problem as the card is properly recognized,
and as far as I can tell, the dmesg output is the same as it was with
version 3.7.

I can enter the cards, set sources, and define the inputs. If I exit
mythtv-setup at any point, there are no reported errors.

However when I go to the channel section, I cannot scan. That capability
is not available, is 'grey-ed out' so to speak, as if mythtv does not
recognize the card. The channel information provided by zap2it is there,
and I can jump into the channel screen and see the XMLID's etc. and switch
between the 2 line-ups I set up. But I cannot scan.
When I exit mythtv-setup, there is a long list of error lines, all the
same reported by the QMYSQL module:

QMYSQL::data::Column 3 out of range.

(The prototypical error message...."Something went wrong but we don't care
enough to actually tell you what...")

A look at the table listing with ls shows that only 3 tables had been
accessed (settings and 2 channel tables). Using mysql (as user mythtv) and
describe 'table' showed that none of their structures looks like a likely
candidate for a range error....

Anyone got answers?
1)	Is it now usual that PVR500 cards are just V4L capture cards?
2)	Why can't mythv 'see' the card and allow scanning?  The hardware
setup is good.
3)	Is this a mysql error? (I note that attempting to log in using
'mysql -u root -p' got me a 'user root at localhost' refused..)
4)	Does anyone think that compiling an svn download would help?

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638