[mythtv-users] Capturing legacy VHS tapes

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Wed Oct 19 16:54:55 EDT 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:06:41 -0200
Manuel Lemos wrote:

> Well the problem is that I have not found a capture program for Linux
> that works with this capture card. A simpler capture program would do if
> it worked. MythTV is recommended by the vendor of WIS chip which is what
> the card uses and it works. Any other video capture tools that work
> (besides command line tools with no preview) would be welcome.
>
> I just wanted to make my legacy video captures less burocratic and not
> have to create a schedule to extract each chapter in small files that I
> could delete once they are moved to DVD. If MythTV cannot work like this
> now, I suppose it may not be so hard to improve it. That is why I
> wondered if a feature request could be submitted and it would be
> implemented soon or later.

Manuel, I have a hardware mpeg encoding card (Hauppauge) and you can
simply do:

cat /dev/video0 > file.mpeg

In other words it just dumps the output of the card to a file. It works.
I wonder if it would for your style of card?

To capture from my analog vidcam i actually set a separate channel and
video source in mythsetup, resulting in the following in the database:

mysql> select * from videosource
    -> ;
| sourceid | name   | xmltvgrabber | userid | freqtable | lineupid | password |
|        1 | Sky_NZ | tv_grab_nz   |        | default   | NULL     | NULL     |
|        2 | VCR    | NULL         |        | default   | NULL     | NULL     |
2 rows in set (0.02 sec)

Sorry that is screwed as a result of the width of my email client.

You also need to set up a channel.

Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>