[mythtv-users] Capturing legacy VHS tapes

Manuel Lemos mlemos at acm.org
Tue Oct 18 23:43:59 EDT 2005

Hello,

on 10/19/2005 01:14 AM Bob said the following:
>> At last I managed to make Plextor ConvertX M402U to work under SuSE
>> Linux 9.3 and MythTV to see the input video.
>
> Conga rats

BTW, it only works with the drivers (0.9.6) supplied by the WIS chip
vendors here. Kernel 2.6.11 or later is necessary. I did not touch
anything. It was a straight make; make install .

http://oss.wischip.com/

>> I bought this capture device, not to record scheduled shows, but
>> rather to convert legacy VHS tape recordings to DVD.
>
> I thought the ConvertX devices captured into MPEG4 format? How are you
> planning to transcode recordings into MPEG2 for the DVD?

They capture MPEG2 too, which is safer because not all DVD players
support MPEG4 or DivX.

The sample record program generates AVI with MPEG2. I have not tried
this on Linux, but it works with the Windows DVD authoring program that
comes with the card.

I have not tried it for sure but it seems that QDVDAuthor is able to
take AVI files to encode them in whatever format dvdauthor takes to
generate DVD video streams.

The problem is that the record program that comes with the Linux drivers
  is a command line utility that you need to tell it how long your
recording will last.

I can watch live captured video with MythTV. I was hoping that it could
be used to start and stop immediate recordings any time, thus without
having to schedule them. Is it possible now? Any ideas?

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos