[mythtv-users] Capturing legacy VHS tapes

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 00:23:46 EDT 2005

Manuel Lemos wrote:
> on 10/19/2005 01:14 AM Bob said the following:
>>> At last I managed to make Plextor ConvertX M402U to work under SuSE
>>> Linux 9.3 and MythTV to see the input video.
>>
>> Conga rats

8< snip 8<

>>> I bought this capture device, not to record scheduled shows, but
>>> rather to convert legacy VHS tape recordings to DVD.
>>
>> I thought the ConvertX devices captured into MPEG4 format? How are you
>> planning to transcode recordings into MPEG2 for the DVD?
>
> They capture MPEG2 too,

Ahh, I didn't know that, I'm considering getting one as they're quite
versatile.

> The problem is that the record program that comes with the Linux drivers
>  is a command line utility that you need to tell it how long your
> recording will last.
>
> I can watch live captured video with MythTV. I was hoping that it could
> be used to start and stop immediate recordings any time, thus without
> having to schedule them. Is it possible now? Any ideas?

I'd suggest you start a recording 20 minutes or so longer than you need
and then edit the recording to cut out the unnecessary bits.

--
tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 34132, rev = J158,
tveeprom: tuner = Philips FM1236 MK3 (idx = 58, type = 4)