[mythtv-users] why do i have a 2 gig limit on avi files

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 22:33:12 EDT 2005

On 14/10/05, Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:

> IIRC, the avi format does not allow for greater than 2gig file sizes. It has
> to do with the fact that AVI is a microsoft container and at the time they
> developed it their file systems wouldn't allow for greater than 2gig files.
> So they wrote that in as the max file size. Whether this ever got "fixed" i
> dunno, and whether the linux programs ever followed this I dunno either...

As a long time VirtualDub and NTFS user, I've come across this a lot.
The original AVI standard I think was fixed at 2GB per file. However,
the AVI2/OpenDML spec
(http://www.matrox.com/video/press/papers/odmlff2.pdf) allows for much
larger AVI files, and then I think it's up to the playback and
filesystem to support their size.

Nick