[mythtv-users] why do i have a 2 gig limit on avi files

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 13:10:51 EDT 2005

On Friday 14 October 2005 10:47, jondz wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm new(re-subscribed) to the list.
>
> Has anybody encountered this before:  I seem to
> have a 2 gigabyte limit on avi files (transcoded
> movies).  When either the Internal player or the
> mythcommflag reaches that they just hang.  I know
> the files are fine because gnome totem plays
> them movies fine to the end.
>
> quick facts about my box:
>
> 1. it used to be debian STABLE (kernel 2.4).
> 2. I turned it into UNSTABLE, and upgraded to 2.6.
> 3. I use XVID for transcoding.
> 4. I have compiled my own mythtv packages using
>    the debian mythtv versions.
>
> Whereas I am perfectly happy right now sticking
> with < 2 hour movies I will be grateful for somebody
> who points me in the right direction, thanks.
>
> thanks for a great software!
>
> jondz

IIRC, the avi format does not allow for greater than 2gig file sizes. It has
to do with the fact that AVI is a microsoft container and at the time they
developed it their file systems wouldn't allow for greater than 2gig files.
So they wrote that in as the max file size. Whether this ever got "fixed" i
dunno, and whether the linux programs ever followed this I dunno either...

Steve