[mythtv-users] Not your everyday newbie questions

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 22:07:57 UTC 2005

"Without the firewire connection am I correct in assuming that there
is no way to capture HD encrypted content like HD Espn, HD TNT, HD
Discovery, etc? Is this a blanket problem or are there ways around it?"

The problem isn't encryption, as HD content over component output isn't
encrypted, the problem is simply a technical one. An uncompressed HD signal
contains far more data than today's PC's can handle in software, and nobody
makes a consumer priced encoder chip.

For a crude idea of what is going on, my 1ghz PIII can barely keep up with
encoding NTSC content. A 720p stream contains almost 8 times as mush data as
a 480i signal.