[mythtv-users] Not your everyday newbie questions

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Tue Oct 11 20:22:47 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 13:56 -0400, R. Stavros Bezas wrote:
> Robert,

> In regards to the "1:1 pixel mapping" idea you suggested: Do you have
> any more information regarding this so I can look further into it, I
> am curious to find out more about it.

1:1 mapping only applies to discrete devices like lcd's and dmd (digital
micromirror device). Thanks to google I now know that is what DLP uses.
(This is difference between a technical article read years ago and
something useful.)

At any rate those devices have some real physical resolution since there
is a discrete number of elements.  Perhaps it is 1920x1080.  I don't
know.  What you want to do is set your graphics card to that physical
resolution and use a dvi/hdmi cable to send it to your tv.

Now the key to 1:1 pixel mapping is your sending digital data for say
coordinate 100,500 over that dvi cable.  That data should only be used
to change the intensities associated with the 100,500th element.  That
is all there is to it.  One would think it would be obvious and work
everywhere there is a digital connection, but it doesn't.

The vizio I have, for one, I couldn't get it to work with the hdmi
connection, but apparently many tv's take that digital signal and
rescale it and make it fit the available pixels, hence even if you input
the exact size for your xorg.conf file, you get something that is
slightly smeared on your screen.

How do you determine if this is happening?  Well create a png file that
is composed of a black and white lines arranged vertically.  Black lines
for the even numbered lines, and white for the odd or visa versa.  Show
that on your tv and if it looks even and uniform then you have 1:1
mapping, if not, then not.

Again, if its mostly video your showing, I doubt you can really tell
from a few feet away.  You might tell with text, and well it will be
obvious with that kind of prepared image.  In general though a 1:1
mapping should make things a little sharper than it otherwise be when
sent from a computer.

Note that you may not be able to manage your full resolution as a 1:1
mapping.  The panel I'm getting is 1366x768 and I've read reports that
you can do 1360x768 and throwing away 6 lines.

At any rate good luck..

-Robert