[mythtv-users] Thanks to developers, plus a few tips from someone who finally got it working

Paul V. Gratz pgratz at gratz1.com
Wed Oct 5 15:01:59 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 09:42 am, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Micah.Wedemeyer at gtri.gatech.edu wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >2) Don't mess with wireless!  I know this will probably start some
> >flames, but to be honest, I never had much luck with 802.11g under
> >Linux.  I got it to work sometimes, but it was always flakey and would
> >stop working randomly.  Save yourself a headache and go with
> >tried-and-true 10/100.  Believe me, it's much easier than reading serial
> >numbers off of boxes at Best Buy trying to find the one magic revision
> >of some wireless card that is rumored to work 85% of the time.
>
> FYI.  Using a wireless bridge to a PCs built in 10/100 port is a very
> workable solution for Wireless in Linux as it takes Linux out of the
> equation.

IMHO even 802.11g is not really good and consistent enough for mythtv.
Ultimately you want your TV to work like an appliance, ie it should always
work and not need constant tinkering.  I've fought with using wireless for my
mythtv setup as well but I could not get a 100% consistent signal that had
enough BW to not have hickups in the playback. I live in a moderately high
density area where several neighbors in my building also have wireless,
perhaps it would be different in the 'burbs but thats my experience.
Paul