[mythtv-users] Thanks to developers, plus a few tips from someone who finally got it working

Ciaran ciaranj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:59:56 UTC 2005

Just to balance things, I have 802.11g working flawlessly with my Myth
Setup.  Admittedly its a wired connection from the back-end to the
wireless router, but its wireless from there to my remote frontends.
Works a treat :) [Did take an age to setup initially, especially with
encryption!]
Cheers
- Ciaran

On 05/10/05, Paul V. Gratz <pgratz at gratz1.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 October 2005 09:42 am, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> > Micah.Wedemeyer at gtri.gatech.edu wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >2) Don't mess with wireless!  I know this will probably start some
> > >flames, but to be honest, I never had much luck with 802.11g under
> > >Linux.  I got it to work sometimes, but it was always flakey and would
> > >stop working randomly.  Save yourself a headache and go with
> > >tried-and-true 10/100.  Believe me, it's much easier than reading serial
> > >numbers off of boxes at Best Buy trying to find the one magic revision
> > >of some wireless card that is rumored to work 85% of the time.
> >
> > FYI.  Using a wireless bridge to a PCs built in 10/100 port is a very
> > workable solution for Wireless in Linux as it takes Linux out of the
> > equation.
>
> IMHO even 802.11g is not really good and consistent enough for mythtv.
> Ultimately you want your TV to work like an appliance, ie it should always
> work and not need constant tinkering.  I've fought with using wireless for my
> mythtv setup as well but I could not get a 100% consistent signal that had
> enough BW to not have hickups in the playback. I live in a moderately high
> density area where several neighbors in my building also have wireless,
> perhaps it would be different in the 'burbs but thats my experience.
> Paul

- Ciaran
(I now have far too many G-Mail invites available, anyone who wants
one, gets one)