[mythtv-users] Channel Hopping

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Tue Oct 4 15:07:38 UTC 2005

>>> "Andrew Wilson" <migmog at gmail.com> 10/04/05 10:29 AM >>>
> > Your wife needs to change her surfing habits.
>
> NO! THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT.
> Especially when she's your wife. Even when she's wrong.

You sound like a married man!

>  This top has been discussed to death in recent months,
> and there's basically two camps:
>
> 1) Nothing's wrong, all we need to do is change our
> surfing habits.
> 2) We ought to make it quicker to change channels,
> but that's a lot of work.
>
> I definitely fall into camp 2, and if only I had more time
> I would chip in and help do some of the work.

Maybe you'd have more time if you didn't surf?  LOL...

> So, take your pick.... Maybe Paul is right, and your
> wife needs to change her surfing habits :-)

Don't get me wrong, it is a hard sell.  But when I asked
my wife why she had so much time to just sit around
looking for something on TV rather than just sitting down
and watching something.  At first, that went over
like a lead balloon, but eventually she understood
because she saw me sitting down, selecting a
Monster House/Garage episode or the most recent
MotorWeek episode.  I think she actually got jealous
that my half hour shows were taking me 15 minutes to
watch because of commercial cutting and time stretch
to about 1.2, which in turn caused her to start asking
me how she could schedule her own shows.

Ask your wife what she likes.  I've recorded so many
Rachael Ray, Giada DeLorentis, Emeril, and
Barefoot Contessa shows (as well as almost everything
on HGTV) that my wife loves that she can sit down
at any point and watch exactly what she likes, not
what is on.  Instead of complaining that nothing
looks interesting, she can complain that the networks
aren't making new episodes!

And Everyday Italian is one of those that I'll actually sit
down with her to watch.

When I came to her asking if I can buy an external
firewire drive case to house an additional 2tb of drives,
she didn't give me any flack.  Now I just need to
actually lay out the cash...

Paul