[mythtv-users] Gentoo n00b needing advice!

stephen mythmail at nb.sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 30 21:25:39 EST 2005

> Yup - that's what I'm running.  Now if I can only figure out how to
> get it to auto-login and startx automatically.

I'm using evilwm for a window manager on gentoo, and used some info from
this site to get the autologin working:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue72/chung.html

There's probably an easier way, but this worked great for me.

This is the relevant portion of my /etc/inittab:

c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -n -l /usr/local/sbin/mythlogin 38400 tty1
linux

And just for reference, here is my .xinitrc and .xsession (both have the
same content):

===================

# Merge X resources from ~/.Xdefaults
[ -f $HOME/.Xdefaults ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xdefaults

# Set the background and root cursor shape
xsetroot -solid \#400040
xsetroot -cursor_name top_left_arrow

# Start evilwm - snap to borders within 10 pixels
/usr/bin/evilwm -snap 6 -bw 0 &

/usr/X11R6/bin/xset s noblank &
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset s off &
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset dpms off &

exec mythfrontend

And my .bash_profile (to automatically start X):

# /etc/skel/.bash_profile

# This file is sourced by bash for login shells.  The following line
# runs your .bashrc and is recommended by the bash info pages.
[[ -f ~/.bashrc ]] && . ~/.bashrc

if [ $(tty) == /dev/tty1 ]; then
     startx -- -dpi 100 # larger fonts for viewing on the tv
fi