[mythtv-users] Gentoo n00b needing advice!

Michael Cowell michael at mousewasher.dk
Wed Nov 30 19:26:17 EST 2005

Phil Bridges wrote:
> On 11/30/05, Michael Cowell <michael at mousewasher.dk> wrote:
>
>> Steve wrote:
>>
>>> May I point you over to, drum roll please.....!
>>> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_MythTV
>>>
>>> Just follow this guide completely and you'll have a completely perfect
>>> system, bloat-free and all. I noticed you said you have KDE and I'll
>>> let you in on a little secret (well its not really a secret) KDE is
>>> way huge and bloated and way more than you'll ever need to run MythTV.
>>> At most all you need is fluxbox or evilwm. Read the guide. Trust me.
>>>
>> You can even get by with ratpoison, which has a *very* small memory
>> footprint.
>>

> Yup - that's what I'm running.  Now if I can only figure out how to
> get it to auto-login and startx automatically.
I'm running gentoo and I have this in my /etc/conf.d/local.start:

# /etc/conf.d/local.start

# This is a good place to load any misc programs
# on startup ( use 1>&2 to hide output)

# Start myth in a loop
(while [ /bin/true ] ; do chown mythtv /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log;
sudo -H -u mythtv startx &>/var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log; done) &

And this in /home/mythtv/.xinitrc:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xset s off
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset s noblank
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms
sleep 2
nvidia-settings --load-config-only
ratpoison &
/usr/bin/mythfrontend

Starts mythfrontend at boot, and restarts it whenever it quits. Works well.

Michael