[mythtv-users] I'm thinking of switching to windows :(

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 30 14:27:58 EST 2005

Raphael Pooser wrote:

> Justin Hornsby wrote:
>
>> I happen to agree with the whole linux vs windows argument being a
>> non-starter.  Yes, Windows is an OS you can install in less than an
>> hour to have a working system, but then there are a lot of Linux
>> distros which allow you to do that aswell.  Don't forget that the
>> Windows install process is rarely ever over when you eject the CD..
>> all those security updates that need reboots, followed by more
>> updates & reboots... you can easily kiss goodbye to the best part of
>> a day doing a fresh windows install & update-fest.
>
> Amen.  In fact, I tested it.  XP is so old now and the install process
> is so bad, it takes longer to install XP on my machine than it does to
> install ubuntu.  For the "linux is hard to install" croud there are
> tons of alternatives to XP that are in fact easier to install.  Let's
> see, Mandrake (well, mandriva), Ubuntu, Mepis, all extremely easy to
> install and actually take me less time to install than XP.  I'm
> talking about the installer copying files, configuring things, etc,
> not about me sitting there looking at the screen saying now what do I
> do when presented with a choice.  And for mythtv, don't forget
> Knoppmyth, a 15 minute install that often works right away for people
> (I don't like it but it did work when I tried it).  In fact, It took
> me 12  minutes to get ubuntu up and running on my mythtv machine.  I
> also installed XP on this same machine, and it took 40 minutes.
> Before service packs, etc.

And drivers, and ...  I always set aside a minimum of 8 hours for my
biannual (that's twice a year, not biennial--once every two years)
Windows re-install of my gaming system and I don't have to install any
apps on that system save the one game I'm playing at the time.

Not to mention the obviously-flawed Windows installer to which people
have grown so accustomed that they no longer seem to notice the flaws.
You start the Windows install, you format your disk, it copies files, it
reboots, and *then* it asks for the CD key.  Gee, thanks Microsoft, for
wiping my disk and preventing me from continuing to use my old OS before
you told me that some crook OEM sold me an unlicensed Windows CD with my
computer.  (OK, this one has never happened to me, but still...  That's
basically imposing the death sentence without judge and jury.)

So, the real flaw--that's always a problem--is the fact that there are
at least three different points during the install at which the entire
process comes to a complete stop waiting for user input.  I was helping
a Windows fan-boy install FC4 and after it asked all the information it
needed and started downloading packages, I said, "Oh, wait.  We have a
problem.  I know you really like Windows, and many apps for FC4 are
designed to work like those on Windows, but the installer doesn't.  It
won't stop 45 minutes from now asking for more information, so when we
come back, the install will be complete."

OK, not all Linux distros do their installers correctly, either--yes,
this means you Ubuntu--but come on...  Does Microsoft really expect me
to sit there in front of the installer reading their Windows XP ads for
45 minutes?  If so, you'd think they at least have enough ads that they
don't repeat throughout the install.

And I won't even get into the installer loading drivers for every
possible piece of hardware before the installer can begin.  (Ever hear
of auto-detection, MS?)

Mike