[mythtv-users] HD3000 recording problem in Mythtv- signalStrengthATSC_v4l2(), error: Invalid argument

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 17:14:08 EST 2005

On 11/29/05, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Mercury Morris wrote:
>
> > As I re-read this thread, there is something missing:
> >
> > Brad, you say you "created a HD3000 card in mythtv-setup and assigned
> > it to bcast."  I asked about that before, but didn't see any answer.
>
> Oh.. I merely meant that I created a a Video Source called "terrestrial"
> using the Channel Freq Table of; us-bcast.
>

> > So, here's a question:  Did you complete a successful scan of
> > available channels during mythtv-setup?
>
> It's greyed out. Is it grayed out because I chose "no" at the beginning
> of mythtv. I just didn't want it to change anything since I didn't want
> what I had corrupted. Would it?
>
> > And another question:  Did you choose to define the HD3000 card as a
> > DVB card (part of Input Connections)?
>
> There is no "DVB" setting in Input Connections. My Input Connections
> assigns the Capture Device (card) and Input to the Video Source (which
> is "terrestrial" as cited above)
>

> > Under Channel Editor (part of mythtv-setup) you can scan for channels,
> > actually you must scan for them or else MythTV won't work.
>
> hmmm... I guess I have to say YES to the question:
> "Would you like to clear all program data and channel settings..."
> at the beginning. Shessh.. I don't want to mess up what is alread there.
> Will it?
>

> > So, I apologize for the questions, but I just wanted to be sure that
> > the setup steps have all been completed.  Otherwise, we aren't all on
> > the same page trying to figure out what's going wrong.

Well, I think you might have a bit of work ahead of you.  "Greyed out" scan
for channels is not good.  This could mean that the MythTV binaries you are
using were not compiled with DVB support included.  I'm not sure of that,
but it's almost exactly like what happened to my system when I added
2.6.13kernel with DVB support.  The difference is "greyed out" (your
system)
versus missing  scan button (my system).

>From earlier posts, I got the feeling that you installed MythTV from RPMs -
that is from packages built by someone other than yourself.  And that's OK,
but if the packages do not include DVB support in MythTV, then you have to
install a version that DOES include DVB support.

Long ago, I gave up on the RPMs, preferring to download all the software in
source form and compile it.  Then there is little doubt about what is
supported and what isn't.  This is my subtle way of recommending that you
take a deep breath and install from source.

I know that if I were to receive news like the three paragraphs above, I
wouldn't be too happy, especially if I had never installed from source
before.  But I can tell you from my experience of November 2004, when I made
the decision to give up on RPMs, it was the right thing to do (for me).  The
quality of the software packages, IVTV, LIRC, and MythTV too, of course, is
so good that I don't worry about it at all.  After installing from source
several times, I have complete confidence in all the packages.

As for the question you asked about clearing all program data and channel
settings, you don't have to say Yes - at least not yet.  But that's not good
news, because it seems very likely to me that you have some re-building to
do.  At the very least, you have some re-installing to do - specifically a
version of MythTV that includes DVB support.

I hate to add the following (also not good news), but there is a conflict
between the IVTV version of tveeprom.ko and the kernel version of that
module.  I add this point as a heads-up for after the DVB problems are
solved.  My system has the conflict, now solved in kind of a temporary way.
I just wanted to give you as complete a picture of what steps are needed to
get your system working with both PVR250 and HD3000 tuners.

--
MM