[mythtv-users] Commercial Flagging - whats it all about

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 11:39:58 EST 2005

On 11/29/05, Ben Edwards <funkytwig at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have found a few references to commercial flagging and its got me
> interested.  I cant however find mutch info on it.  I guess my first
> question is how well douse it work and also how doues it work but a
> general page on it world be good.

The term "Commercial Flagging" pretty much sums it up, it flags commericial
breaks. if you
want details on how it does the flagging, looking at CVS commit logs would
be the best way
to get an up-to-date answer on which tricks it is using for discrimination.
I remember reading
that it looks for blank frames at least.

Once a commercial segment is flagged, you can tell myth to do whatever you'd
like with it:
notify you that it is a commercial segment, automatically skip over it, or
allow you to press a
button (by default home/end) to skip past it. Also, when exporting video,
you can save the frame
numbers of the tagged commercials for automatic removal.

It generally works very well with most shows. Every so often it will skip
something that is not
a commercial (usually when the show is very dark, it think that they are
blank frames when they are
not), or it will miss a commercial, but with a 30 second skip forward and 5
second skip back, it's
easy to adjust for it.