[mythtv-users] Infra-red Remote as keyboard

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Tue Nov 29 08:42:08 EST 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:01 pm, Richard Smith wrote:
> Paul Andreassen wrote:
> >On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 07:54 pm, Richard Smith wrote:
> >>I have a USB infra-red which presents itself to the system as a keyboard
> >>/ mouse (it's from the Twinhan DVB card package).
> >>
> >>Connecting everything up gives me some control over mythtv from the
> >>remote but, not suprisingly I need to do some key re-mapping.  My
> >>problem is in knowing how to make setkeycodes work with this remote.  I
> >>can change the keyboard mappings on the PS/2 connected keyboard but
> >>nothing I do seems to affect the remote.
> >>
> >>Can anyone give me a pointer?  Has anyone already solved this particular
> >>problem?
> >>

> >>Rick
> >
> >I've written a binary patch which changes the keymaping for usb keyboards
> > so the TwinHan VisionPlus DVB-T card remote better matches MythTV.
> >
> >http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?do=post_attachment;postatt_id
> >=7787;list=mythtv
> >
> >Paul
>
> Michael's solution of keymapping is fine if the codes generated by the
> remote match existing keycodes known to Myth (or rather,QT I believe).
> The Twinhan doesn't.  I presume that's why you did your patch Paul. I
> did come accross that in my googling, but I stumbled when I found I did
> not have a usbhid module:
>
> $ ls /lib/modules/2.6.12-1.1372_FC3/kernel/drivers/usb/input/
> aiptek.ko      kbtab.ko      powermate.ko    wacom.ko
> ati_remote.ko  mtouchusb.ko  touchkitusb.ko  xpad.ko
>

> Rick

hidusb.ko must have been compiled into the kernel.  You could change the
kernel source code and recompile.  Or try changing the path in my code to
point to your kernel and see if it can replace the table.

David Watkins mentioned that you can use LIRC to change the keys of the
remote.  I think he was referring to a ATI remote which uses the
ati_remote.ko kernel module.  LIRC has its own kernel module for that remote.
I'm not sure you can use LIRC with a usbhid device that thinks it is a
keyboard.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/163483?#163483

Best of Luck,
Paul