[mythtv-users] XBox with root via NFS?

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Nov 28 12:32:05 EST 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 07:18:54AM -0800, Ben Dash wrote:
> I'm not sure what you'd gain by not using the hard
> drive for swap, my swap file is just a 256MB file on
> hda50.  The swap file doesn't effect the native xBox
> functions.

If I could use NFS for both root and swap (perhaps with the help of
additional installed RAM) then I could shut down the drive, gaining a
50-75% reduction in ambient noise.  The noise from the XBox isn't a
problem when playing games since they tend to be loud anyway, but it's
a real distraction when watching a relatively quiet recording.

I figure having a slow swap would make navigating the menus painful and
would delay the start of the playback, but once I'm actually watching
TV I wouldn't expect to have a lot of paging going on.

I was hoping someone on here would have already tried it and could tell
me that it definitely works or definitely doesn't work so I don't spend
a lot of (potentially wasted) time reinventing the wheel.