[mythtv-users] XBox with root via NFS?

Ben Dash ben_dash at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 10:18:54 EST 2005

I'm using an xBox with an NFS root and a FatX file for
swap.

I'm not sure what you'd gain by not using the hard
drive for swap, my swap file is just a 256MB file on
hda50.  The swap file doesn't effect the native xBox
functions.

I have heard of people doing network swapping,
however, it seems to not be thought as a good idea.

--- chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:

> I know it is possible to run Linux on XBox with a
> root on NFS, but the
> instructions to do so usually then suggest using the
> local hard drive
> for swap.  I'd like to be able to shut down the hard
> drive after loading
> Linux from the dashboard.  Is it practical to run
> MythTV on Xebian with
> the swap file located on the network drive or will
> latency kill me?
> Alternatively, if I upgrade the XBox RAM to 128 Mb
> can I run without any
> swap at all?
>
> --
> Joke template: Three guys walk into a bar. One of
> them is a wee bit
> stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious
> inevitability.

|Ben Dash                                           |
|Ask free questions - http://bensqanda.blogspot.com |
|My Blog -    http://bensdailythoughts.blogspot.com |
|Info -  http://bensinformationstation.blogspot.com |
|Workouts -        http://bensworkouts.blogspot.com |