[mythtv-users] Extracting mp3 audio from mpeg2 video

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 01:05:39 EST 2005

On Sunday 27 November 2005 22:40, Robin Gilks wrote:
> Greetings
>
> My setup uses a sat set-top box going into the s-video and external audio
> inputs on a PVR-150 card. A few radio stations are carried by the sat
> provider but of cause the video is static - after recording, whats the
> best way to split out the audio in a lossless fashion to an mp3 file?
>
> I'm sure there are lots of options (mencoder, replex - not sure really)
> but a simple command line tool is what I'm after.
>
> Thanks...

mplayer inputfile -dumpaudio -dumpfile output

do you know if the audio is mp3? If its from a sat its prbly mpeg2 or AC3 2.0
audio so you'd want to then use lame to convert to mp3 (I recommend --preset
extreme or standard depending on your equipment quality and ear).

you might even be able to feed the file straight into the lame encoder and it
might ignore the video and only encode the audio to an mp3 file.

Steve