[mythtv-users] Capturing 5.1 audio

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Wed Nov 23 19:59:04 EST 2005

Steve Adeff wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 November 2005 03:25, Bob wrote:
>>
>>What is your source? If it's analogue then chances are it doesn't have
>>5.1 sound anyway so there's not much point recording it, if it's digital
>>then you're better off trying to cap the digital stream directly in some
>>way (as with DVB) so you don't go digital -> analogue -> digital and
>>incur the quality penalty involved with this.
>
> First. Yes, I do get shows in 5.1, they're called HD and the movie channels
> that send 5.1 (HBO1 and Showtime1 for me).
>
> My goal *IS* to skip the analog step. Right now, to capture from a cable box
> (since my firewire output is limited by 5C, grrrr...) I go thorugh a PVR150
> using svideo and component L/R audio. What I'd LOVE to be able to do is
> record the SPDIF output stream (be it 2.0 or 5.1 digital) and mux it together
> with the video output. I'd love to be able to capture the video via DVI to a
> dedicated mpeg encoder so I could do HDTV, but I'll wait for the hardware to
> be available for that (or 5C gets cracked), and am willing to live with
> svideo and audio via spdif.  I have an old WinTV card (no mpeg encoder) so if
> I can figure out how to have my ALC850 chipset record from my coax SPDIF
> connector and output from the optical SPDIF connector and mux it with CPU
> encoded video from the WinTV I'd be ecstatic. I'd be more ecstatic if I could
> mux it onto the mpeg output from my PVR150 (even as a second audio track
> would be fine).
>
> Steve

I hadn't realised that DRM was quite such a "clear and present danger"
as you 'merkins would say, someone in a non DMCA'd country needs to look
for a way round this DTCP stuff.

Got to say though, here in Manila the piracy is so prevalent and so
cheep that the legitimate video rental firms have all gone out of
business, I can't hire most movies as the copy in my rental store is
rubbish quality that look crap on my projector.

I strikes me that content does need some protection but not at the
expense of "fair use" the current laws and protections are an over reaction.

--
tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 34132, rev = J158,
tveeprom: tuner = Philips FM1236 MK3 (idx = 58, type = 4)