[mythtv-users] What exactly does basic video editing do

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 22 15:31:33 EST 2005

Ben Edwards wrote:

>Was wondering what exactly basic video editing does,

Allows you to set cut points.  You can also "import" the commercial cut
list using 'z' and then adjust as necessary.

>it does not actualy seem to alter the file.

Correct.

>Do I need to transcode.

If you want to alter the file (i.e. actually remove the cut portions
instead of just skipping them on playback from within Myth (won't be
skipped if played by any other player)).

>I gues I just select add to transcode queue.

Or type 'x' when viewing the recording (which does the same).

>Do I need to set anything up or does this just work?

Myth must be properly configured.  ;)

>not done transcodeing before/dont know mutch about it.

I highly recommend you test first on a recording you don't mind
deleting.  If you don't have any, make one just for testing.

Mike