[mythtv-users] Graphics card recommendation

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 19:52:52 EST 2005

On Friday 18 November 2005 19:42, Mike Robinson wrote:
> > Interesting in my mythbox I'm using an AGP fx5200 without any of that.
> > The reason I like the Nvidia based cards is that the TV-Out is active at
> > boot so you can do bios updates as necessary not sure if ATI supports
> > that but it was a selling feature when I bought the card.  As far as
> > PCI/PCI-E go most PCI-E boards come with 3 or 4 pci slots so if you buy
> > the PCI-E card and find it unworkable you can switch it for a PCI
> > version.  The new box I'm planning will be using PCI-E
>
> I think that's my plan...a mobo with at least three PCI slots and a PCIe
> slot.  What I haven't figured out is which PCIe graphics card to get.
> FX5200 isn't readily available with a PCIe interface.  The next
> generation card (the 6200) aparently has some overlay limitation in
> Linux.  My head is ready to explode with from all of the different
> reviews I've read on various cards.  I plan on getting a beefy CPU, but
> I'd still rather not tax it if it can be offloaded to the graphics card.
>   Has anyone had experience building a BE/FE HDTV system that performs
> without a glitch?...including recordings, live TV, OSD, etc.  If so, I'd
> love to know the setup.

I have an Albatross FX5200 PCIE card on my file server, I connected it to my
HD tv and it worked fine, I assume TV out works as well. 90% of NVIDIA based
cards use the NVIDIA reference design, very few vary from it (but when they
do, they usually cost $$$ and are really sweet). so you shouldn't have an
issue.

Steve