[mythtv-users] Graphics card recommendation

Mike Robinson mike at robinsonhome.org
Fri Nov 18 19:42:13 EST 2005

> Interesting in my mythbox I'm using an AGP fx5200 without any of that.
> The reason I like the Nvidia based cards is that the TV-Out is active at
> boot so you can do bios updates as necessary not sure if ATI supports
> that but it was a selling feature when I bought the card.  As far as
> PCI/PCI-E go most PCI-E boards come with 3 or 4 pci slots so if you buy
> the PCI-E card and find it unworkable you can switch it for a PCI
> version.  The new box I'm planning will be using PCI-E

I think that's my plan...a mobo with at least three PCI slots and a PCIe
slot.  What I haven't figured out is which PCIe graphics card to get.
FX5200 isn't readily available with a PCIe interface.  The next
generation card (the 6200) aparently has some overlay limitation in
Linux.  My head is ready to explode with from all of the different
reviews I've read on various cards.  I plan on getting a beefy CPU, but
I'd still rather not tax it if it can be offloaded to the graphics card.
  Has anyone had experience building a BE/FE HDTV system that performs
without a glitch?...including recordings, live TV, OSD, etc.  If so, I'd
love to know the setup.