[mythtv-users] Performance of the HD MPEG2 decoders

Cymen Vig cymenvig at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 13:13:44 EST 2005

On 11/18/05, Todd Ignasiak <ignasiak at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/17/05, Robert Tsai <rtsai1111 at comcast.net> wrote:
<snip>
> >         http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/127168
> >
> > --Rob
>
> Thanks for the link.  I missed that thread in all my searches.  There
> is a lot of good AMD64 info there.
>
> I guess ffmpeg is optimized for 64 bit, libmpeg2 is not, so that
> explains the performance I'm seeing.
>

> Now, if I could find a solution for the stuttering related to XvMC +
> OSD, I would be all set.

What version of mythtv are you running? The current stable release has
the known bug with XvMC and the OSD. If you use the SVN version
(search around -- I think 7738 or 7739 was the latest before Live TV
was disabled for development work *) you'll get a grayscale OSD but
the stutter is pretty much gone.

Maybe the above is common knowledge but I was surprised to see the
option to enable XvMC but no warnings about the stutter issue. Perhaps
I missed a glaring warning and rationally, an 0.18.1 release is
supposed to have issues so I'm not *too* surprised.

(*) I'm not certain about this -- maybe Live TV is fixed in current SVN.

--
Cymen Vig