[mythtv-users] Performance of the HD MPEG2 decoders

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 12:27:28 EST 2005

On 11/17/05, Robert Tsai <rtsai1111 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 03:43:52PM -0800, Todd Ignasiak wrote:
> > I have seen several reports of performance expectations with the
> > various MPEG decoders, and what I am seeing is not exactly what
> > other people have seen, so I wanted to start a discussion here.
> > Also, I thought others might be interested in the performance
> > numbers from a typical system (if anyone has performance info from
> > other CPUs, or Unichrome XvMC, please post)..
> >
> > The main unexpected issues I see are:
> > - libMPEG2 uses much more CPU than the Standard decoder on my system.
> > (libmpeg2:80%, Standard: 50%, XvMC: 28%).   The 'help' info in the
> > GUI, and several posts here, say that libMPEG2 should be have lower
> > CPU requirements.    Perhaps this is an x86-64 issue.
>
> You're confirming what other people have reported on other 64-bit
> systems (ffmpeg a.k.a. "standard" is more CPU-efficient):
>
>         http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/127168
>
> --Rob

Thanks for the link.  I missed that thread in all my searches.  There
is a lot of good AMD64 info there.

I guess ffmpeg is optimized for 64 bit, libmpeg2 is not, so that
explains the performance I'm seeing.

Now, if I could find a solution for the stuttering related to XvMC +
OSD, I would be all set.