[mythtv-users] Hardware recommended?

Robert Denier rdenier at finiteinfinity.org
Wed Nov 16 23:38:51 EST 2005

I'd go with an nforce chipset probably.  I bought an nforce 2 board for this
purpose and it seems fine, and it is fairly low cost.  Fancier and newer ones
are probably fine, but I'd avoid anything that was released in the past ~3
months if possible, unless you have solid information on its reliability in
similar situations.  [Things a few months old tend to have more bugs worked
out, and may even have bios updates available.]

For capture, unless your dealing with firewire or HDTV over the air signals,
you almost certainly want to go with a hauppage card.  I'd just get a PVR 150
and if you need another later you can add one then.  Of course if your sure
you want two then the 500's work well apparently.  (A 500 is basically two
150's on a single pci card.)

For memory 512MB is probably the best choice.  More probably won't help,
although HDTV might be an exception.

I only used KnoppMyth for a day to try to figure out why my Gentoo
installation didn't work.  Still, it is a good starting point.

I'm not familiar with that particular motherboard.

As regards to noise, well you need to decide if you want your backend to be
separate from your frontend(s).  If so, then maybe your backend can make lots
of noise, but be put somewhere so it doesn't matter.

Your front end can be diskless and fanless if you go with something like VIA
EPIA, or probably some normal processors, with the right heat sinks.  One
irritation about diskless systems is they seem to lag a bit more and are of
course more trouble to initially setup.  Gigabit network based diskless
systems might be interesting.  Some of the cases on logicsupply.com use power
supplies without fans, although what all those can be used with would require
some research...

Good luck.  Btw I'm sure I've seen this topic several times before.  If you
look around the mythtv web page there should be a link to search old messages
of this list somewhere.

-Robert