[mythtv-users] Hardware recommended?

Bertrand M bertrandmuscle at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 20:36:40 EST 2005

Hello,

  I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction in regards  to hardware, as I am getting a little overwhelmed with all the choices.  I run FreeBSD and XP at home, but haven't used Linux in a long time.

  Here are my needs:

      - I want to use the Silverstone LC11M case,
      - I will probably use KnoppMyth as it seems the easiest
      - am worried about fan noise,
      - will be using MAME and bittorrent more than actual encoding
      - but want one capture card with the option of having two at some point,
      - am not worried about money necessarily (if something costs 100$ more and is THAT much better, fine)

  For a mobo, I was looking at
      BIOSTAR TForce6100-939
  but it seems that is very problematic with Linux drivers?

  Another direction I was considering would be to use a mobile Pentium or Celeron. Is this common?

  I assumed my first capture card would be a Hauppauge PVR-x50.

  What mobo+cpu combos run the coolest and are least problematic driver wise?
  GPU wise, sounds like nVIDIA is the only way to go, correct?