[mythtv-users] RAID suggestions

Mike stuff at dustsmoke.com
Wed Nov 16 01:31:13 EST 2005

After using MythTV for quite some time. I'm starting to think I might
want a raid controller to use with my 2 hitachi deskstars (250GB)

I'm sort of looking at a 3ware 7506-4LP but I hear the performance isn't
all that and its more for redudancy. I'm going for both size and speed
since it seems a lot of the wait is in the drive, plus I want lots of
storage. I have little faith in software raid controllers and really
want the whole process offloaded from the CPU so it can do things like
commflag. (hence the 3ware with good linux support)

Does anybody have any suggestions to get the most speed out of my 2
drives? Also, I am not opposed to buying 2 SATA II drives and a 3ware
SATA controller for the backend. Is it really that big of a difference?
Things seem slow with mythcommflag running, 3 shows recording and trying
to bring up the recorded programs from mythweb. I plan on adding an
HD-3000 to the mix which I hear I need almost an entire systems
resources by itself just to watch live HDTV since it isn't HW encoded.
And I prefer not using XvMC since the only thing I've managed to do with
it is make the picture look worse and have the computer crash every
couple of hours with it on.

Any suggestions on the raid card and hardware configuration?

Thanks
-Mike