[mythtv-users] RAID suggestions

Brandon Sherman mechcozmo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 02:14:01 EST 2005

Well, if you don't care about your videos, RAID 0 will go the
fastest.  For the best price/speed/integrity, a RAID 5 array will
work best.
http://www.acnc.com/04_01_05.html can help you determine what kind of
RAID array.  With RAID 5, the total storage space lost is equal to
the number of drives as a percentage.  With a 5 drive array, you
loose 20% of your disk space.

You could also do a RAID 0+1 setup which RAID 0 speed with RAID 1
integrity but is harder to set up and maintain since it requires 4
drives to work, and more to be effective.  RAID 5 only requires 3
drives (but 4 are recommend at least).

Brandon