Installing older Kernel (was: Re: [mythtv-users] ivtv-kmdl and lirc-kmdl for 2.6.14-1.1637 missing)

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 13:01:38 EST 2005

Brad Fuller wrote:

>> Darren Coleman wrote:
>>
>>>This is good advice.
>>>
>>>I have learnt through previous trial-and-error to stop blindly using "yum
>>>update" to upgrade the kernel until I am sure ivtv-kmdl has been updated for
>>>the new kernel. :)
>>>
>>>Daz

oh... I did try to manually install the 1532 kernel with rpm, but rpm
complained that I had a newer kernel and refused to install.

I don't know about kernels and versions AFA: can you install a kernel
with rpm and then just update grub.conf to pick which one to boot with?
Will all kernels still be available IF you install them with 'rpm"
rather than 'yum' or 'apt-get'?

Put another way, does yum and apt-get have some magic of installing
multiple kernels (in their unique dirs) that rpm does not?

Better would be if I could yum install kernel at some older level, but
none seem to be available on the fedora sites. (per my last msg)

thanks for the help,
brad