[mythtv-users] Attractive cases

Jim Reith reith at racores.com
Sat Nov 12 11:53:50 EST 2005

>>I'm coming round to thinking that the nicest case out there is the
>  >Accent HT-400 ( http://www.arisetec.com/products/HT-400.htm ) since it
>>is full-size, well-designed, comes with built in IR hardware and an
>>attractive panel to mount an VFD behind. It's not cheap, though. A close
>>second seems to be the Ahanix D.Vine 5. I've looked at a few cases by
>>Silverstone and I just don't think they look as nice (subjective,
>>obviously). Does anyone have any really good or bad reports about any of
>>these cases I should take into account?
>
>I think the advantages of the Silverstone cases is they have so
>many options when it comes to size, expansion, and looks. For
>example, Silverstone offers the only HT-style case I found that
>supports 3 full-height expansion slots (1xAGP, 2xPCI) in a low-profile
>design, such as the LC-11M, which is also very quiet.
>Not everyone wants those boxy-like Shuttle cases, or the
>full-size monster PC cases, like the Aristec HT-400 with 6+ expansion
>slots in their home-theater.
>
>No one would ever buy a TiVo that big,
>so why make my own that big?

I went the full size desktop (horizontal) case route. I ended up with
a Cooler Master Cavalier case (black for $100 through
ChiefValue.com). It has a pop down door over the DVD drive area so it
has a plain face when closed and it's got a quiet set of fans. it
also has 6 PCI slots and 4 internal drive bays and it blends in well
with my stereo/set top box. It's a combination front/backend box with
3 tuner cards in it (PVR-350/150/500) and 3 200gb HDs. You're going
to pay more than minimum to get something that isn't a beige box but
in the end it's worth it if it's going to be out where you can see
it. YMMV