[mythtv-users] HDTV digital static with DVB

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Wed Nov 9 22:25:48 EST 2005

Chris Trown wrote:

>      This thread has me wondering, now.  I just got MythTV going and
> have done some test records.
>
>      The Simpsons Halloween special recorded just fine, but it was in
> SD format(Recorded from the HD channel).  That same night, I tried to
> record Law & Order:CI.  That recording had a lot of breakups and qudio
> dropouts.
>
>      The system is a 3.06GHz P4 with a HD3000 and a Rosewill Nvidia
> 5200FX.
>
>      My understanding is that recording DVB streams is not CPU
> intensive.  The card just grabs the digital data off the air and the
> system writes it to disk for later manipulation/transcoding.  Am I
> correct?

That is my understanding of it as well, and what I see in practice.
Recording a show hardly loads the CPU at all.

> If that is true, then I am casting a suspicious eye to problems with
> reception.  I know that there is one channel that MythTV's scan didn't
> pick up.
>
>      So I guess my question, is how can I tell if the problem I'm
> seeing is trouble with recption vs. a possible system throughput issue?

It is hard.  I would expect that true reception problems would be less
frequent and VERY random. I have yet to see a true reception problem on
mine - I am lucky that I have very good reception.  Also, reception
problems would not correlate at system load and especially disk I/O.

Try starting a large file copy on the SATA drive while watching live TV
under Myth.