[mythtv-users] Long term stability?

Mark Kundinger mkundinger at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 22:41:34 EST 2005

--- Robert Denier <denier at umr.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone have a backend that runs for a week or more under
> reasonably
> heavy use?  By run, I mean with no manual intervention or cron jobs
> resetting things/etc.  I still have to occasionally do
> a /etc/init.d/mythbackend restart although I'm not quite sure why...

Uptime 23 days, frontend/backend, pretty decent usage.  I *have* had to
restart mythbackend a couple of times, both were caused when trying to
channel-flip in Live TV with my Matrox Marvel card as the tuner (That's
seems to be hinkey in live tv, but good for recording).  Otherwise,
it's been good.

1)  PVR-250 and Matrox Marvel G400-TV
2)  Epox motherboard, Nforce2 chipset
3)  Kernel 2.6.13.1 (from kernel.org)
4)  IVTV 4.0ish from SVN right when 4.0 was released.  Marvel driver
from CVS at Sourceforge, right after change to make it work with kernel
2.6.13.
5)  No idea on firmware.  Whatever ATRPMs had.
6)  512MB RAM

So again, the Marvel is a bit flakey when trying to tune a channel, but
the PVR has been a rock.  I need to figure a way to sync my hardware
clock to the system clock without rebooting :)