[mythtv-users] Long term stability?

Ben Rigby benrigby at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 19:58:20 EST 2005

On 11/9/05, Robert Denier <denier at umr.edu> wrote:
> Does anyone have a backend that runs for a week or more under reasonably
> heavy use?  By run, I mean with no manual intervention or cron jobs
> resetting things/etc.  I still have to occasionally do
> a /etc/init.d/mythbackend restart although I'm not quite sure why...
> If people do, perhaps a few could give their
> 1) PVR hardware
> 2) Motherboard chipset

Athlon 64 3000+
512 MB RAM
Albatron FX5200EP GeForceFX5200
DVICO Fusion Lite HDTV Card

> 3) Kernel version

FC 3

> and, well, anything else they think relevant to stability.

11:33:50 up 32 days, 51 min

I had to reboot due to my USB network adaptor stopping, had uptime of
about 3 months before that. No idea why it stopped but a reboot got it
going again. Rebooting probably wasn't necessary, but with limited
linux knowledge and no internet on the box to trouble shoot it seemed
the easiest solution. Btw, I wouldn't recommend a USB network adaptor,
absolute pain to get going.

I have occasional frontend crashes (maybe once a month) and just need
to restart mythfrontend to recover. They're always when moving about
between menus, and thus it's not really a problem to just restart.
Backend is rock solid.