[mythtv-users] Mythtv on Xbox

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Tue Nov 8 12:24:26 EST 2005

Ben Dash wrote:

>I hope that I can provide a silver lining to this
>cloud.  I have got my xBox running Gentoo with a 2.6
>kernel and xOrg running as a stutter free
>mythfrontend.

Any chance you could detail how you got to this point?  I am running 2.4
kernel with xorg, and it doesn't appear to want to play nice.

>It works fine as long as I run an xterm, running top,
>in the background.  This isn't a perfect work around,
>however, since the xterm is behind the mythfrontend
>window it's invisible.

I saw that post originally, and although odd, if it works, that's the
main thing.

>Note that my xBox has 128 MB RAM curtesy of
>www.xboxrepairguide.com and I also stuck a heatsink on
>the nVidia chip.  I'm also running diskless except for
>a local FatX swap of 256MB.  This means that I can
>still use the xBox for games by booting to the native
>BIOS instead of Cromwell.  I have a SmartXX and am
>very impressed with their features.

I wouldn't mind a memory upgrade, I'll have to check that out. You
couldn't use the loopback filesystem, or chose not to? I am, and can
still run games without any problem.

>My only problem is that the xBox is a little noisy,
>simple to fix by replacing the fan, and I'm yet to get
>the xBox remote to work.  Since I have a RF
>keyboard/mouse I'm very happy with the current setup
>although my wife would really like the remote to work.

That I would have to fix for it to be a 'seamless upgrade'... :)

Tom