[mythtv-users] Absolute NEWBIE, question about Linux

Grant Emsley grant_emsley at yahoo.ca
Mon Nov 7 20:10:21 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron" <hansolo77.geo at yahoo.com>
To: <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 7:32 PM
Subject: [mythtv-users] Absolute NEWBIE, question about Linux

> Hi all.  I just joined this mailing list about 2 days ago, and have been
> reading almost every message for tips and tricks.  I am completely new to
> the MythTV scene and am very interested in becoming a part of the growing
> community.  One thing that I have noticed in the messages and on the
> increasing number of websites is that it seems to require quite a bit of
> knowledge when it comes to Linux.  I have been a dedicated PC/Windows guy
> since Windows 3.1 and the day's of DOS.  However, I don't really know
> anything about Linux and the like.  How much into Linux should I go as far
> as training for preparations?  I downloaded KnoppMyth and ran the front
> end only to kinda get the basics, but even that has me overly confused.  I
> downloaded the SUSE Live Eval DVD and have been experimenting with that.
> I'm not a slow learner, and have never taken any courses to learn any of
> this.  I'm a self-taught computer fanatic/hobbyist so I'm not scared to
> learn something new.  I'm just curious how much into Linux I should read
> about and play with to get a good system up and running.  Any help, and/or
> ideas on directions to go would be great.

You sound like you learn the same way I do, so I think the best thing I can
suggest for learning linux is the way that I did it.  Get a spare computer,
install linux (I personally prefer Debian www.debian.org which is the distro
that knoppix is based on), and play around with it.  If you are used to DOS,
you should be able to get used to linux.  A LOT of stuff is done from the
command line, and I've seen a few tutorials for people switching from DOS to
Linux (google for them).

Figure out what you want to do with it.  My linux machine runs mythtv
(frontend and backend), a small webserver, and acts as a file server for all
my windows machines.

Best way to learn (at least for me) is to just dive in, and whenever I get
stuck, try to find the solution myself (man pages and google are your
friends).

Best of luck!