[mythtv-users] NUV TO WINDOWS PC

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Mon Nov 7 15:37:11 EST 2005

Martin Hartman III wrote:
> For all you Windows
> users out there, all you have to do is download the .nuv file through a
> Samba mount on your MythTV box and rename the extension to .mpg and it
> will work perfectly.  Keep in mind I am using Windows XP Pro with the
> latest version of Media Player.  Once you have the file renamed you can
> throw it in a program like Nero and it will transcode and burn no
> problem.  I hope this information helps some of you newbs out there.

A few caveats:

1) This only works for those using a capture card that produces MPEG
compressed data like the PVR-250 or PVR-350. Other capture cards which
do not compress also produce an NUV file which is NOT an MPEG file and
you cannot do this.

2) On my system, I simply double click the .nuv file. Windows Media
Player will say it doesn't understand the .nuv extensions but it might
be playable - should it try? If you say yes and tell it to remember then
you can play .nuv directly from your samba mounted video storage without
renaming any files.