[mythtv-users] remote frontend problems

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sun Nov 6 19:48:56 EST 2005

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 02:33:01AM -0800, Lonnie Borntreger wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand why NFS, mplayer, and totem even come up for
> watching prerecorded shows on a frontend.  I put the frontend on a
> laptop, told it where the backend was, didn't mount anything, and watch
> prerecorded (and live) shows through MythTV itself - streamed across the
> network from the backend (just like live tv).

That works for shows that were recorded using MythTV.  If you rip a DVD
or use nuvexport to convert files to another format then the MythTV
backend will not stream them.  That's why the mythvideo plugin was
created.  It runs on the frontend and must have independent access to
the storage area.  Since it keeps a list of known videos in the mysql
database, every frontend must use the same storage path or else they
will constantly overwrite the video list with the ones visible from that
frontend.  The typical solution is to create /nfs/video on the machine
with the big drive and export that directory so that everyone else can
mount /nfs/video and see the same files.