[mythtv-users] MythTV on Xebian

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sun Nov 6 07:54:30 EST 2005

On 6-Nov-05, at 3:54 AM, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:

> The repository at nerim.net was the "official" source for Myth packages
> for Xebian, but they have deleted all of the stable branch and now only

This is not true. Nerim is the source for liblame and a few other
things needed to support myth. There are no official according-to-Hoyle
myth packages for debian. The ones at dijkstra.csh.rit.edu/~mdz/debian
are close as it comes and are very usable but the the stable branch was
abandoned a year ago (or longer) because some dependancy wouldn't
install on woody. I guess Matt hasn't revisited this since stable
became sarge.

However, there is definitely a problem with Matt's packages in that the
base myth debs depend on one version of Qt and the plugins  depend on
another, incompatible version.

> most recent version of Xebian.  This means that the only way to get
> Myth running on an XBox is to download sources from SVN and compile
> your own or find an alternate source for 0.18.1-2 packages (in which
> case, PLEASE tell the rest of us where to get them).

One important point here is you don't have to build your packages on
the xbox for them to be installable on the xbox. I built mine on my
backend which is a puny epia M10000. It took a few hours but the end
result is perfectly usable. I posted my packages a few days ago but
they're for svn r7600, you'll have to build your own if you want
0.18.1. To build packages you can search the archives for
dpkg-buildpackage. I learned everything I know about debian package
building from this very list.

My xbox was built/hacked in early October. I remember quite a bit of
thrashing to get myth installed but that was mostly because I didn't
realize about the myth/plugins Qt incompatibility issue. Once I figured
that out I lived with just the base myth until I had a second to build
my own packages.

- George