[mythtv-users] Handling DVB-S recordings with Nero

Niels Dybdahl Niels at Dybdahl.dk
Sun Nov 6 07:36:51 EST 2005

> > I have until now used Nero VisionExpress to make DVDs from my analog
> > recordings (PVR-350).
> > Now I have got a Hauppauge Nova-S (DVB-S) tuner and I want to create
> > DVDs with Nero VisionExpress from the DVB-recordings.
> > However Nero refuses to open the .NUV files from the Nova-S.
> > I thought that the Nova-S would store in a MPEG2 format similar to the
> > PVR-350, so that DSMyth would be sufficient for Nero to read the
> > files, but apparently it is not so.
> > Does anyone have an idea of what I can do ? Do I need a different
> > MPEG2 codec ? Or is it better to use nuvexport to export the files to
> > a DVD compatible format ?

I have been told you should export them with nuvexport. Apparently they
> are mpeg2 files but arranged as a TS, or transport stream. There may
> be other utilities also that can convert TS to DVD compatible format.

I read on dsmyth's webpage that dsmyth is not able of handling MPEG2 as PS,
but it was not clear if it could handle TS. Maybe I should try TS.
I seem to manage to export with nuvexport, so that path should be possible.
I wonder if transcoding with MythTV would solve the problem too. If I can
make Nero read the MPEG4s generated by MythTV, then I would have a nice path
to do the job. MythTV is a much nicer cut-list editor than Nero and the
transcoding would cut the movie, so there would be less to do in Nero.
But both nuvexport and transcoding with Myth would cause an additional
transcoding which will degrade the quality a little...

Niels Dybdahl