[mythtv-users] Re: Re: Usability Issues: WAS Re: Simultaneousrecordings fail spectacularly [SOLVED!]

Mike Frisch mfrisch at isurfer.ca
Fri Nov 4 13:43:12 EST 2005

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 11:32:57AM -0700, James C. Dastrup wrote:
> Although I think there's room for improvement, I think Myth does a
> darn good job at the UI. Anytime you take the features of a full
> keyboard-and-mouse system and port it to the buttons on a remote,
> you're going to have problems.

Of course and that's what I hope can be cleaned up.

> Some of it needs work, and if you want to use the advanced features,
> anything beyond a Tivo or other PVR, you better have a programmable
> remote.

Agreed, but basic functionality should work as it does with a satellite
receiver or cable box.  The buttons work but the flow of the OSD/menu
system needs some work.

As another example, using the menu to get to the EPG.  That option
shouldn't even be there.  Every modern day remote has an EPG/guide
button.  Again, I am still a relative MythTV newbie so perhaps it's
just my config.

> > things like using the "Menu" button to select the channel
> > in the EPG have *GOT* to be fixed.
>
> Wha? I press OK (Select) in the EPG and it works fine.

Hmmm...  mine does not.

> So I think we have the starting point, but just add a few extra touches,
> such as, If you're supposed to use the Right Arrow Key to pull
> up a new menu, then the GUI should indicate that with an right-arrow
> icon or something.

Definitely.  I think we're all on the same page here.  Just a little bit
of polish and it'd be perfect.