[mythtv-users] Skip forward doesn't work correctly anymore

Steve Briggs zzybaloobah at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 4 09:31:04 EST 2005

Darrem Hart wrote:
<snip>
> I have run the above [mysqlcheck] and came up with no errors.  I have run the repair on
> recordedmarkup.  I have checked the /etc/localtime symlink.  I even went so far
> as to delete all the contents of the recordedmarkup table.  Still, the total
> time fluxuates up and down and skipping takes a long time to complete.  This
> started two days ago, and I didn't do any upgrades to the box or anything else
> that I can think of.  For what it's worth, it is a combo frontend/backend box
> with a NFS root.  The problem also shows up now on a laptop running mythfrontend
> connecting to the combo box's backend.
>
> Any other thoughts on what I can check?  Or what might cause this?
>
> --Darrem Hart
<snip>

As I stated a couple days ago in an earlier post
("Seek broken after transcode from MPEG4") my skip forward doesn't
work either.  Database isn't corrupt, /etc/localtime is fine.
I also have a combo FE/BE with an NFS mounted /video.
And, I also see the problem on a FE laptop.
I am having a similar problem (maybe the same problem?).
Mine has never worked (but I've only been running myth for
a few weeks).

One thing you might look for (to at least see if your problem
is the same) is when you run the frontend, enable debugging
("mythfrontend -v playback") and look for error messages when seeking.
I saw the following sorts of errors:
  0 length seek table
  [mpeg4 @ 0x4d415b4]warning: first frame is no keyframe
  DoFastForward, Not enough info in positionMap, we need frame <XXXX>
Then it says it will seek frame-by-frame ... which takes forever.

My problem only occurs after transcoding; the original recordings
still play fine (I save the originals, if I "mv <xx>.nuv.old <xx>.nuv"
the originals play fine.)

Sorry I don't have a solution... but I'm curious to see if we
at least have the same problem.

Steve