[mythtv-users] Re:Is gentoo the way to go?

Alexander Petkov ap154036 at cue1.umt.edu
Thu Nov 3 23:49:37 EST 2005

=============
A little bit of time? Don't you mean alot of time compiling? I have
tried Gentoo and the compiling of *everything* takes forever. I have
yet to find a pre-compiled install that at least gets me going with the
basic xwindows, gnome and/or KDE.

Give VidaLinux a try--basically a stage 3 Gentoo install, with xorg, Gnome, etc. Rock-solid perofrmance, the distro is well-themed. The ~900MB size for the portage tree was a turnoff though...Zenwalk Linux will give you a full install with Xorg and XFCE4 desktop in the space of 900 MB. Anyone know if the portage tree can be removed and still have portage functional?

BTW, I am not a gentoo user, I just peeked at it a bit.