[mythtv-users] Re: Is gentoo the way to go?

Trey Boudreau trey at treysoft.com
Thu Nov 3 13:13:41 EST 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 11:55:48AM -0500, Mike Frisch wrote:
> On Thu, November 3, 2005 10:50 am, Trey Boudreau said:
> > I really like my gentoo setup (I have five systems, currently), but then
> > I've managed UN*X boxen since 1991.  A distcc-enabled portage chews
> > right through compiles.
>
> It has nothing to do with experience.  Without getting into a pissing
> contest, I've been maintaining "UN*X boxen" for at least the same amount
> of time and when it all comes down to it, the advantages of "compiling
> your own" are far outweighed by the time savings in using somebody else's
> (trusted) binaries.

I had the occation to an Ubuntu 5.10 install in the course of my work
last week.  I found it quick and easy, and wouldn't have a problem
recommending it to most folks.

I did run into a problem installing kernel modules compiled outside of
the header-source tree of the as-installed kernel.  In particular

	make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=$PWD modules_install

fails because the Makefile doesn't have EXTRAVERSION set properly and so
places the built modules in the wrong directory.  They have a
.extraversion file, but kbuild doesn't use it.  I suspect people
building DVB modules outside of the kernel will have this problem unless
they first rebuild and install the kernel from source.

-- Trey